Sunday, November 7, 2010

04.

I am aware it has already been discussed and scrutinised to the point that everyone is sick of hearing about it, but I just wanted to make a couple of comments on the student anti-fees protest that took place in Dublin on Wednesday last. I was not present at it, though I am fully supportitive of the cause. A good few of my friends were there that day. While the majority of the people enjoyed a peaceful protest in which they delivered their point without any trouble, there was a small minority of what I can only describe as eejits who tryed to ruin it for everyone. It is not the fault of the gardaĆ­ as far as I can see, though many students are pushing the view that they are to blame, their "brutality" only causing more hassle. I have seen the footage that has been plastered all over the news in the past couple of days, and I have spoken to people who were actually there. And alcohol was consumed by a proportion of the students there that day. Being a student myself I am very familiar with the drunken antics that can occur, especially in large groups. I do not think it is fair to place the blame for any trouble on the authorities, who were no doubt only trying to maintain order. If you reject them now, who are you going to call when your houses get broken into or you're attacked some night? Don't blame the gardaĆ­ for you acting the shite.


But to the majority of the 40,000 students present that day, fair play. I hope the message was received, a €3,000 registration fee is a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment